About Flora Novae Angliae
The definitive guide to New England native plants
The definitive Flora Novae Angliae, a Manual for the Identification of Native and Naturalized Higher Vascular Plants of New England, reflects nine years of field, herbarium, and literature study. Written by staff research botanist Arthur Haines and published by Yale Press in 2011, this book is the most authoritative, comprehensive work on the flora of New England.
Special features include:
- Up-to-date entries on the taxonomy and distribution of approximately 3,500 species of New England Flora
- Precise distribution information, accurate to the state level
- 1,008 pages
- 945 original illustrations by Elizabeth Farnsworth and Gordon Morrison
- Details on unusual plant groups not included in other sources
- Tips on recognizing hybrid plants in the field and on distinguishing among similar species
- Reference list to encourage further research
- Comprehensive glossary.
- Call the Garden Shop @ Garden in the Woods and order the publication over the phone, 508-877-7630, ext 3601
- $100.00 + MA sales tax (members receive a 10% discount)
and $10.00 shipping/handling
"Arthur Haines's up-to-date, meticulously researched manual will be the standard work on the flora of New England for decades to come, the well-thumbed companion of every serious botanist in New England and of much interest to those practicing in adjacent areas." - Robert Bertin, Professor of Biology, College of the Holy Cross
"At long last, a new flora of New England! Teaching plants and learning about them using an up-to-date flora is a pleasure than New Englanders have long done without." - Dr. A.A. Reznicek, University of Michigan Herbarium
"Arthur Haines has written a remarkable flora, one that at once provides a useful and accessible technical resource for identifying plants in the flora of New England and at the same time brings to our knowledge of the flora a taxonomy that reflects the latest taxonomic inaugurations arising from the availability of modern molecular datasets for analysis of plant diversity and evolution. Mr. Haines's impressively exhaustive knowledge of our flora is evident on every page." - David S. Barrington, Pringle Herbarium, University of Vermont
To read a review of Flora Novae Angliae from Rhodora, click here. The review is reprinted with permission of Rhodora, New England Botanical Club.